The head of an investment firm planning to build a mega slaughterhouse in Wisconsin (worth an estimated 74M) has informed us that they have changed their strategy and are no longer building it, there or anywhere else for that matter. This news comes 15 days after our protest at the home of a key decision maker of the company and 10 days after a productive discussion with the same person.
But our efforts to defeat the mega slaughterhouse have been playing out for over a year and it’s been a roller coaster ride of twists and turns for the many people and groups working on this, including Slaughter Free Milwaukee, Franklin Community Advocates, Slaughter Free Dallas, and Texas Animal Freedom Fighters. We are deeply grateful and inspired for this coordinated effort and all who collaborated with us to play key roles to get where we are today.
Here’s a timeline of major milestones in this campaign:
- September 10, 2020: Strauss announces plans to build new mega slaughterhouse in Milwaukee’s Century Center.
- October 10, 2020: Milwaukee Common Council votes to suspend vote on Strauss mega slaughterhouse, responding to intense media attention and pressure from community activists.
- October 21, 2020: Strauss announces it is no longer pursuing Milwaukee as a location for its new mega slaughterhouse due to pressure from community activists.
- December 1, 2020: Franklin Community Advocates (and other plaintiffs) file lawsuit against Strauss and City of Franklin over mega slaughterhouse plans.
- February 19, 2020: Strauss announces plans to build an even more expansive mega slaughterhouse in its hometown of Franklin, just outside of Milwaukee.
- October 13, 2020 to October 20, 2021: Slaughter Free Cities launches pressure campaigns targeting the investment firm that has become the majority owner of Strauss Brands.
- October 17, 2021: Slaughter Free Cities organizes protest at the home of one of the founders of this investment firm.
- November 1, 2021: We are informed by the head of the firm that plans have changed and the mega slaughterhouse plans are off the table.
To get involved with Slaughter Free Chicago and stay up to date, please sign up for our mailing list.