Free from Harm’s Strategy into Action Leadership Team helps develop and maintain the our strategies and public actions. Generally speaking, members of this team are committed to SFN’s longterm vision of advancing a plant-based food system and challenging the dominance of animal agriculture. Specifically, the team helps develop bold and innovative strategies and actions designed to maximize our impact on food industry powerholders, the public and media.
This is the first team of its kind for us and will likely serve as the model for future teams with other agendas and goals.
The team will be experimenting with the snowflake model of building a leadership team which helps members identify their role and purpose as well as develop shared goals and results.
Leadership team members share 4 beliefs central to our theory of change:
- The belief in a “changing the weather,” outside game approach that seeks to amplify the discourse on transformative change to our food system, with an eye on concrete yet meaningful demands.
- A belief in the importance of holding powerholders and their dominant institutions accountable, ideally in a public venue.
- An appreciation for the fact that change is hard fought, involving struggle and sacrifice, and the privileges we enjoy today were hard fought by previous generations of activists. In this context, the need for “constructive moral crisis” is a fundamental part of our activism philosophy.
- While we focus on the outside game, we practice movement ecology seeking to coordinate our efforts with inside game players for maximum impact.
Member roles and activities
- Members are able to commit about 3–5 hours/week
- Members are ready and willing to plan and participate our future actions (schedule and location permitting).
- Members will participate in monthly or bi-monthly meetings (as needed) and take on specific roles for planning and carrying out specific events.
- Members are committed to learning new grassroots skills that can benefit and strengthen themselves as well as the Team.
- Members help train/mentor new leaders at monthly workshops and one-on-one sessions
If you have any questions or wish to be considered for this team, please email us.